Thank you to my mother-in-law for sending me links to this article from the Ensign. I have found through the early days of this trial period that hearing about other's difficulties and their similar experiences have helped me know that I am not alone with adversity and that others have endured well and so can I.
The following are clips from the article found at this website: http://lds.org/ensign/2010/03/enduring-well?lang=eng
The Meaning of the Word Endure
“Endure to the End: To remain true to the commandments of God despite temptation, opposition, and adversity throughout life.”
"...Because of what our family has experienced, we feel greater empathy for others’ struggles, whatever they may be and find ourselves reaching for a greater understanding of the Savior’s love for us. We are learning that through our active use of the Atonement, it is indeed possible to be “troubled on every side, yet not distressed; … perplexed, but not in despair;
“Persecuted, but not forsaken, cast down, but not destroyed” (2 Corinthians 4:8–10)."
"“When I was young I loved playing sports, and I have many fond memories of those days. But not all of them are pleasant. I remember one day after my football team lost a tough game, I came home feeling discouraged. My mother was there. She listened to my sad story. She taught her children to trust in themselves and each other, not blame others for their misfortunes, and give their best effort in everything they attempted.
“When we fell down, she expected us to pick ourselves up and get going again. So the advice my mother gave to me then wasn’t altogether unexpected. It has stayed with me all my life.
“‘Joseph,’ she said, ‘come what may, and love it.’
“I have often reflected on that counsel.
“I think she may have meant that every life has peaks and shadows and times when it seems that the birds don’t sing and bells don’t ring. Yet in spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result. …
“How can we love days that are filled with sorrow? We can’t—at least not in the moment. I don’t think my mother was suggesting that we suppress discouragement or deny the reality of pain. I don’t think she was suggesting that we smother unpleasant truths beneath a cloak of pretended happiness. But I do believe that the way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life.
“If we approach adversities wisely, our hardest times can be times of greatest growth, which in turn can lead toward times of greatest happiness.”
Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (1917–2008), “Come What May, and Love It,” Ensign, Nov. 2008, 26."
This last quote from a talk that I remember hearing at a church conference in 2008 reminds me of my own mother's advice on a sad day that I was having about a month after Amelia passed away. She was quoting her grandfather when she said, "If you just keep moving you can't get stuck." I appreciate that advice. The days that are hardest are the ones when I don't have people to visit with or things to accomplish outside of my house. I have learned that I need to keep moving (or endure the trial well by doing good things that make me happy, including helping and serving others) to not "get stuck." Even in this time of waiting, I don't have to feel like that is all I'm meant to do is wait. Just like how I don't think Amelia is simply waiting for us to join her in heaven. She must be doing an important work for our Heavenly Father. I can keep moving, keep serving, keep improving and keep loving it!
Another quote from another great talk.
"The sharp, side-by-side contrast of the sweet and the bitter is essential until the very end of this brief, mortal experience."
"Anne Morrow Lindbergh wisely cautioned: “I do not believe that sheer suffering teaches. If suffering alone taught, all the world would be wise, since everyone suffers. To suffering must be added mourning, understanding, patience, love, openness, and the willingness to remain vulnerable” (“Lindbergh Nightmare,” Time, 5 Feb. 1973, 35)."
see more at: http://lds.org/ensign/1997/04/enduring-well?lang=eng
No comments:
Post a Comment